BBC News reports that the Libyan army has declared a partial ceasefire from Midnight on Sunday, two days after some of the militias based in western Libya announced a unilateral truce.
However, the army said its forces would adhere to the truce but would continue to pursue "terrorists".
The decision comes after the first round of UN-sponsored talks in Geneva last week that seek to end months of escalating violence in Libya.
The Libya Dawn militia alliance also said that it would open up "safe passage to channel humanitarian aid", according to the AFP news agency.
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) welcomed the announcement, calling it a "significant contribution" to the country's peace process.