SNE Special Projects have operated within Libya since the revolution of 2011 and are a fully licensed security provider working with our Libyan partner company. We have kept our permanent British & Libyan Country Management Team in Tripoli throughout the last few difficult months, supporting our clients staff and critical infrastructure and offering up to date, regular and accurate reporting throughout this period. We are now in a strong position to advise and support our clients as they look to plan their re-entry back into Libya as and when the current situation stabilises and allows for remobilization. We have a vast amount of experience of supporting clients from the media, telecoms, power generation & NGO sectors. For more information on our services within Libya please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SNE Libya Security Summary
Following three days of dialogue in Skhirat, Morocco between representatives from the differing parties in Libya, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has urged participants to keep to the original agenda agreed upon by all parties and has called on all leaders to stop the military escalation that threatens to destroy the any political solution. Prior to the Morocco talks, all parties had agreed upon UNSMIL’s proposal that the agenda would focus on the formation of a national consensus government and security arrangements to end the armed hostilities in Libya and allow for the withdrawal of all armed groups from towns and cities, UNSMIL said today in a statement.
Khalifa Hafter has been officially sworn in as head of the Libyan armed forces at a ceremony in Tobruk on Monday 09 March. He was named Commander General of the Libyan National Army and promoted to Lieutenant General by the President of House of Representatives (HoR), Ageela Saleh Gwaider last week. Monday`s ceremony took place at the town’s naval base amid heavy security. It was attended by Gwaider, members of the HoR and top military figures including the Chief of Staff, Abdul Razzaq Al-Nazhuri and Air Force Commander Saqr Adam Geroushi.
With the recent announcement that the western aligned Libyan Dawn forces have increased their air capability from three to six aircraft, it is clear to witness that there has been a significant increase in air activity and strikes over the past few days.
The aircraft which Libyan Dawn forces have within their possession are believed to be old training aircrafts which are modified in order to carry ordinance, thus far there have been many failed intentional air strikes by the Libya Dawn forces however certainly with the last 48hrs there does appear to be an increased success rate.
In a surprise announcement the eastern based Libyan National Air force announced a 3 day air strike ceasefire in order to the give the UN lead Libya talks within Morocco a chance to make progress. Both warring parties dispatched members of their delegations with apparent clear instructions to work towards progress. It has been widely reported that the opposing sides have agreed in principle to discuss each other’s offers in order to move towards a unilateral government, and will now report back to their respective leadership’s.
In a recent announcement the Tunisian government announced that Tunisia would be re-opening the Tunisian consulate office in Tripoli, however did stress that this was not in recognition for the National Salvation Government (NSG) or Libya Dawn.
It was recently announced that German oil giant Wintershall have retuned back to Libya and continuing oil production with Libyan staff, Wintershalls production is believed to produce anywhere between 30,000-100,000bpd.
Libya has witnessed an increase in oil field location attacks which is believed to be claimed by Daesh forces, in areas of the Sirte basin and more recently yesterday the southern area of Ghani was attacked with a reported 8 security personnel being killed.
The Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said on Thursday Russia could play a decisive role in resolving the crisis in Libya, during a rare visit by a European leader to Moscow he raised one of his country's most pressing concerns with President Vladimir Putin the the chaos in Libya which has seen thousands of migrants flee to Italy and also sparked fears of a new stronghold for militants to launch Daesh attacks on Europe.
Due to the current ongoing unstable and unpredictable security situation within Libya, SNE are recommending that at this moment in time clients only carry out business essential travel trips to Libya, these trips should only be undertaken within Tripoli city limits and no movement should be attempted in the hours of darkness or near certain flash point areas such as Tripoli International Airport and surroundings districts, GNC buildings and hotels known to be frequented by internationals which could prove to be flash points for further incidents.
Due to the attack on the Corinthia hotel in Tripoli on the 27 January, hotels in Tripoli are now being looked at again from a security perspective and for the time being we recommend only using safe accommodation which has been authorised for use.
Locally employed client staff within Libya should continually practice extra vigilance and caution regarding their personal security, in addition anything classed as suspicious should be reported to the SNE Security Tripoli Operations Manager at the first opportunity.
We are advising No movement to the western area of Libya in and around Kikla and Rujban and other surrounding areas where fighting is still ongoing between the Zintan and Libya Dawn militia groups. Sporadic fighting between rival tribal factions is also currently ongoing in the areas of Ubari, Sabha & Murzuq and we are advising our clients Not to travel to these southern areas at present.
We are still presently advising NO travel should be made to Benghazi until the current situation shows signs of stability and Operation Dignity forces have full control of the city and transportation methods of entering and leaving Benghazi are open again.
SNE are supporting our clients at present in Tripoli with business essential travel visits and are offering a full turnkey security risk management, safe transportation with secure accommodation and life support package based from our Tripoli villa.
The British FCO and US State Department are still advising against travel to Libya and are monitoring the security and political situation before considering remobilisation plans back into Libya.
SNE remains fully operational on the ground within Tripoli, where our British Country Management Team are able to support any of our existing and additional clients requests and provide up to date accurate information and analysis on the ever changing situation to those clients who are currently out of country monitoring the situation with an aim to re-deploying when the security and political situation allows.
Before considering travel to Libya, an itinerary specific pre-travel risk assessment including mitigation measures are recommended. In-country personnel should be confident in their evacuation procedures and crisis management plans and in light of the current situation these should be checked and updated where necessary with the appropriate level of support in country to activate the plans when required.
To discuss further how SNE can support your projects in Libya please contact us by email at email@example.com or call our Dubai office on +971 44561542 / +971 503786803